Friday, April 17, 2009

Inspired by "Good Wine Under $20"

I decided to spend this Friday night in in an effort to save some money (stupid bad economy). After spending a solid two minutes trying to extract the cork from a bottle of Mirassou Pinot Grigio, I was so ready to drink it. I've had this wine before and it didn't necessarily sit well with my pallet. However, since I did receive a free bottle, I decided to give it a second chance. Now, I just started this 1,200 calorie a day diet (it's almost summer, gotta get my sh*t together) so I got a pretty quick buzz after my first half-glass. I hit 1,100 calories by 330pm, so I decided not to count my wine calories for today.
ANYWAYS, I am taking the wine for what it's worth. What I mean by that is: Mirassou is known for their amazing Pinot Noir. They're also know for introducing a less buttery, more citrus Chard (which I completely love as well). And when a label specializes in specific varietals, it's hard to not have excruciatingly high expectations from all their wines.
So my general preference in a Pinot Grigio is not a peachy taste, which is what I decided is deterring from the Mirassou. However, it is refreshing for an April Arizona day which is hard to come by. I have to appreciate anything that could be considered a summer wine as long as I live in a state where it is summer most months of the year.
I still CANNOT consider it a favorite, but if you do like peach tastes, you will enjoy it. And the pricing on it is pretty unbeatable. As for me, I will continue drinking the Ecco Domani (Italian) when I want a great Pinot Grigio, and Mirassou when I want a Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment